According to just about every blogging expert out there, I’m doing it all wrong. But that’s fine with me. Apparently, Seth Godin is doing it all wrong too. It turns out that when it comes to blogging, Seth and I are as clueless as our heads are hairless.
What I discovered whilst ruining this blog
Although I’m doing it all wrong, here’s what I’ve discovered; whilst building a daily readership of thousands and making a six figure income from this blog:
- Your blog posts do not need to be lengthy.
- You don’t need to use video on your blog.
- You don’t need to offer a “weekly round-up” of your posts every weekend. It’s perfectly fine to write something original or post nothing at all.
- You don’t need to review every piece of crap that’s sent to you.
- You don’t need to be an associated blogger. It’s fine to be independent; plus you look less like a sheep when you are not part of a flock.
- Your posts do not need to be Search Engine Optimized every time or even most of the time.
- You don’t need a complicated commenting policy or special commenting software. Seth doesn’t even have comments.
- You don’t need to spend a fortune on blog design.
- You don’t need to write a newsletter, just because other bloggers do. (In fact, it’s best NOT to do anything, just because other bloggers do.)
- You don’t need to use SEO software, to help you write your posts.
- You do not need to use guest bloggers.
- You don’t need to drop the F bomb or be deliberately confrontational, in order to stand out.
- You DO need to find out what works for you, based on what you want to achieve; then do it YOUR way.
Tip: It’s probably NOT going to help you, if you follow the pack. If your current approach to blogging isn’t working, dump it and consider breaking a few rules.
Me? I’m going to look for more and more rules to break and more ways to do it wrong.
Why? Because each time I do, something wonderful happens.
Let's grow your business! I can help you build a more successful business, increase your sales, attract more clients and boost your profits. To find out how, click here.