I saw a video interview with Seth Godin recently, which made me smile. It wasn’t the interview itself that made me smile, but rather the shot of Seth in his office.
There Seth was, sat at a table (not desk), with; a laptop, phone and a coffee/tea. I smiled, because it confirmed something I wrote a few weeks ago: It’s the content of our mind, not the content of our office, which determines our success.
The marketplace is filled with ineffective marketing messages, which were written in offices that look like the control room at NASA. The thing is, adding a third high definition monitor to Bob’s three grand computer, is not going to make is ineffective marketing strategy magically start working. It will just look stunning, as he slowly goes broke. Incidentally, before you laugh, that example is based on a business owner I spoke to last year, who had zero need for three monitors!
Good, reliable technology is essential to the running of any business. But the business owner who constantly feeds her gadget addiction, yet neglects to invest in the knowledge required to grow her business, is totally missing the point.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)