Have you ever asked yourself that question?
It’s easy to get stuck in a business model, which we adopt because everyone in our industry is doing it. Now, if that model works, supports our commercial and lifestyle goals, then that’s great. Sadly, many people are working a business model that’s missing one or both of those goals.
An example we see all the time, is the trend among the best known social media experts, where almost all of them use the exact same business model: Selling speaking gigs and books. Book income is relatively low, even for best selling business books. As a result, these hard working individuals tend to spend most of their time away from their homes and loved ones, because they have not yet figured out an alternative business model to the social media talking circuit.
It’s sad and 100% avoidable, for those willing to embrace Steve Jobs’ mantra and Think Different – rather than follow the flock.
The starting point of developing a more effective business model, is to identify exactly what you want from your business. I’m going to leave you today with a great way to get some clarity around this key challenge.
Grab a pen and a pad and write the following question at the top of the page, then spend as long as required answering it.
Here’s the question: If my business was perfect in every way, serving both my lifestyle and commercial needs, what would it look like?
Consider things, such as:
- How many hours would I work?
- Which worthy causes would I support with my work?
- How much would I earn?
- Where would I live?
- Who would I work with? You can answer with the profile of clients you want to attract or name names of people / businesses you’d like to work with.
The key is to allow your mind to focus on the things in life that matter most to you and incorporate them into the development of your ideal business.
If you take the time to do this correctly and then start working on an effective plan, the impact can be life changing. I have worked on this with many clients over the years and it’s one of the most professionally rewarding things I have ever done.
Just remember when asking and answering your questions, to Think Different.
No, it’s not easy, but it is required.
- Is your marketing built to last?
- What’s your plan for today?
- Are you an entrepreneur or have you built yourself a job?
- Are your clients killing your business?
- 3 Critical steps for a profitable, successful business
- Here are some people that your business needs to avoid
- How to reclaim the energy you had, when you started your business!
- Money without happiness… you’re still broke!
- Here’s the fastest way I know, to increase your sales and profits!