Communication is one of the most overlooked and underrated skills in business. It’s often seen as a soft skill – something that’s useful, but not essential.
The business owner who is unable to communicate her vision, is likely to struggle just as much as the business owner who has no vision. That’s why as business owners, we need to continuously improve our communication skills.
A few tips for better communication
When seeking to share an idea, whether spoken or written, you may find the following tips useful. (Please add your own):
- Research your audience.
- Think of the core points you want to make, in order.
- Stay on track.
- Use as few words as required. Brevity is priceless. Too many words can dilute the power or impact of your message.
- Avoid buzz words. Use plain speaking whenever possible.
- Understand that volume is seldom the problem. A bad message amplified, is still a bad message.
- When people respond, listen, really listen, to their feedback. Look for common misunderstandings and adjust your message to avoid them recurring.
What would you add to this list?
Let’s work together and grow your business. To find out more click here!
Latest posts by Jim Connolly (see all)
- Marketing 101: The race to the bottom - December 5, 2013
- 15 Reasons to start blogging in 2014! - December 4, 2013
- What everyone needs to know about marketing automation - December 2, 2013