There is something democratizing about marketing these days, as Microsoft’s launch of their Xbox One console demonstrated beautifully.
That’s because today, the marketplace, your prospective clients and customers, have a voice like never before.
The barrier has never been lower
A small business owner with a superb product, who knows how to market it correctly, can harness the power of online communication to attract thousands or millions of potential customers. There are countless examples of businesses, products and services, which have become massively successful, without spending megabucks on advertising or huge launch events.
Microsoft Xbox One back track
Conversely, a multi billion dollar company can misread the market and get their message horribly wrong, as happened with the launch of Microsoft’s Xbox One.
All Microsoft’s money and influence was not enough to save them from an embarrassing U-turn, when users got news of some extremely unpopular ‘features’. The Xbox One team are now trying to repair the damage caused and it will not be inexpensive or easy.
The Xbox One marketing lesson
Whatever line of business you are in and whatever size your marketing budget is, never underestimate the power of combining a great product, with effective marketing.
Unlike the Xbox One team, listen to your marketplace… THEN give them a superior product and a compelling reason to talk about it.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)