Some years ago, the marketing team behind Toys ‘R’ Us in the United States, had a great idea. It provides a lesson, which everyone reading this can benefit from.
Here’s what they did
They sold Pampers, in store, at cost price. Clever eh? These were easily the cheapest Pampers anywhere. So, eager parents went into Toys ‘R’ Us to buy them. These busy parents usually went along with their kids, who would head straight for the section with their favourite toys and then ask their parent for a toy — often with extreme conviction!
- Did every parent cave in and buy a toy? No.
- Did enough parents make additional, high profit purchases as a result of the zero profit Pampers offer? You bet!
So, here’s my question for you
When was the last time you did something creative with your marketing?
One of the reason so many small business owners find that their marketing is ignored, is because it’s too linear… too predictable.
Here’s a suggestion for you: Have a think about the magic behind that Toys ‘R’ Us Pampers offer and see if it sparks an idea, which you can adapt for your business.
You may surprise yourself… and your customers.
PS: Here are some ideas to help you find creative answers for your business.
Latest posts by Jim Connolly (see all)
- What everybody ought to know about thinking big - December 10, 2013
- Reach out, pay it forward and watch your whole world improve! - December 10, 2013
- Marketing 101: The race to the bottom - December 5, 2013