How do you get people to spread the word about your business?
I’m going to answer this question for you in today’s post. It’s based on a chat I had with an accountant yesterday.
The usual kind of thing
So, a local accountant wanted to know what was the best way to spread the word about his business. I asked him, what kind of accountancy services he provided. He replied with: “You know… the usual kind of thing, Jim.”
Here’s the key part of my reply.
- If you want the story of a predictable business to reach 100 people, you need to tell 100 people. This is because dull stories don’t spread. You have to push them. You go to networking events, constantly advertise or pester people with emails, etc. The story itself doesn’t spread, because predictable stories don’t have legs.
- If you want a great story, about a business doing meaningful work, to reach 100 people, you tell 1 person… and it spreads. That person tells several more. They do the same. This is because great stories have legs. You nudge them with effective marketing and watch what happens. It’s beautiful. And extremely successful.
Just a little better, faster or cheaper
No one feels compelled to tell their friends about an accountant, (coach, designer, trainer, marketing consultant or whatever), who is just a little better, faster or cheaper than the rest.
If you want the word to spread about your business, improve the story. Make it worth sharing. Be meaningfully different from your competitors.
Then, put your story into the marketplace and watch it travel from person to person. This generates word of mouth referrals, endless sales leads… and frees you up to focus on making your business even more remarkable.
Recommended reading: Is the dream behind your business inspiring enough?
- Increase word of mouth referrals with this simple idea
- How to take your business from average to remarkable
- How to attract great word of mouth referrals
- How to attract attention and get people talking about your business!
- 3 Ways to grow your business for pennies
- How to Bake Marketing into your business
- How to work a room at a networking event
- How to immediately get more Word of Mouth sales leads… for free!
- How to get your marketing shared on social networks