I received a spam email earlier. A PR company decided to send me a press release, to announce that a camera maker was going to sponsor an event. They wanted me to write about it.
No one cares
The thing is, it’s a mind-numbingly dull message.
- It’s a non story.
- It’s completely unremarkable.
- It’s boring. Really boring.
- It’s also too unimportant to be news.
Other than the camera company’s marketing department, the PR company and whoever organised the event – no one cares.
Pushing a dull message is simple. It requires no creativity. No art. No thought. However, it’s also extremely ineffective.
An alternative approach is to take a little more time and attract people’s attention, doing something worth talking about. People share remarkable stories all day long. No pushing required.
Make it remarkable. Then, people will remark on it. It’s that simple… and that difficult.
This will help: Increase word of mouth referrals with this simple idea.
- The secret to marketing that spreads AND sells!
- Are you edging it?
- Marketing 101: Stop pushing people for attention
- How did a boring blog post get shared over 3000 times?
- How to work a room at a networking event
- A marketing lesson from an interesting place to sit
- How to attract attention and get people talking about your business!
- Be the first. Be the best. Be remarkable!
- 10 Powerful ways to get people talking about your business