If you want your business to become increasingly relevant over time, rather than fade away, here’s something you need to know.
Right now, there are lots of people walking around, wearing the Hipster look.
It’s fashionable. It’s in vogue. It’s very much of the moment. A trend, which has now gone mainstream.
Of course, the fashionistas have already dropped the look and moved onto the next new thing. Slowly, others will do the same. The Hipster trend then becomes something you look back on, just like every fashion before it.
Long term commercial success
When Groupon (remember that?) was the big thing, thousands of small businesses sprung up offering Groupon-like services. Then, when Groupon’s buzz died down, the trend those small businesses had invested in was gone.
Here’s the thing: Making long-term business decisions based on a current trend, is almost always a mistake.
Think long term. Focus on providing as much value to your marketplace as possible. What we know for sure is that value and quality are never out of style.
If you invest there, you can immunise your business from becoming yesterday’s news.
PS: Here’s some advice, with lots of examples, on how to build a successful business.
- Stop looking for certainty. Seriously. Stop it!
- How to build a better business with small daily decisions
- To improve a business, let go of the Failing Familiar!
- A heartbreaking email that every small business owner should read
- How to stop your business becoming a ghost town
- How to stop cash flow problems from ruining your business
- How to make the right business decisions
- Social media smoke blowers: How to stop them hurting your business
- Stop marketing your services. Seriously. Stop it!