There is an extremely common marketing error, which is ruining small businesses. Right now, I’m going to explain what it is and also show you how to avoid it.
I was prompted to write this after being contacted by a personal development coach with a marketing problem. She explained that she’d hired several copywriters over the past year, to rewrite the pages on her website, which sold her products and services. On each occasion, the results were the same. Very few inquiries and even fewer new clients or product sales.
Why didn’t it work?
Simple: The problem wasn’t the copywriting. Allow me to explain.
Focusing on the wrong thing
She told me a bit about her business and it was clear that the problem isn’t the copy she is using. The problem is with the predictable nature of what she offers. Her services sound just like hundreds of thousands of other personal development coaches.
So, when someone sees what she has to offer, there’s absolutely no reason why anyone should hire her, rather than one of the others.
Here’s the thing: If your marketing messages are not generating enough inquiries, clients or customers, it could be a sign you need to invest in creating a better (more valuable) service, rather than a better marketing message.
There’s no demand in the marketplace for a provider who offers something, which is just a little better, bigger, smaller, faster or less expensive than the competition. That’s not enough to attract your prospective client’s attention or interest.
As a marketing professional, I spend lots of time with business owners, helping them make subtle changes to what they provide, so that it becomes distinctive and massively more attractive. I suggest you do the same, especially if you work in a competitive industry.
Tip: This will help you. It shows how to make your product or service stand out in a competitive marketplace.
- Why offering free consultations can be an expensive mistake
- Is your marketing worthy of you and your business?
- This threat to your business is also your biggest opportunity!
- So, you want to be in high demand? Then read this!
- The number 1 thing you must know, for your business to succeed
- Here’s the fastest way I know, to increase your sales and profits!
- Here’s what to do, when clients say you’re too expensive!
- 3 Ideas to help you, the next time they say you’re too expensive!
- Is your business making a difference?