If you want to learn from the success of others, copy their strategy rather than their tactics.
Just like Twitter
Twitter succeeded because it was the first, mass market, micro blogging service.
The hundreds of start-ups who tried to copy what Twitter did, failed. They copied Twitter’s tactics, rather than their strategy. Twitter’s strategy was to create a unique form of communicating and connecting.
If those start-ups had built their own, unique way to communicate and connect, they would have created something with the potential to succeed. Instead, they failed, because the people who wanted a service that was just like Twitter… used Twitter!
It works like this
By copying the tactics of a successful business, we become a clone. A copy. Something unremarkable.
By copying the strategy of a successful business, we can create something of our own. A remarkable original. A valuable proposition.
Tip – Here’s the best post I’ve written on this subject: My name is Jim Connolly and I am a freak!
- Get Twitter Direct Messages from people you don’t follow!
- How to build a successful business
- How to attract attention and get people talking about your business!
- How to grow your business in a uniquely valuable way!
- Marketing You: The key to building a great business!
- A powerful business lesson… from Google!
- How to build a massively valuable business using a more human approach!
- How to make extremely valuable business contacts
- Social Media: How to build a large, valuable network