There is a powerful success factor behind every great business, which you can implement starting today.
It can be summed up in just 4 words: It’s all about them!
It’s all about them
The most successful business owners have figured it out. They know that their success is always going to be an extension of what they do for their clients. So, they consistently look for ways to be of greater value.
In short: They are more interested in the success of their clients, than they are in their own fees or prices.
Why the me, me, me approach doesn’t work
The least effective business owners are focused on what they can get from their clients or customers.
- They talk about closing the sale, rather than opening the relationship.
- They talk about up-selling, rather than upping the value they provide to their clients.
- They focus on what they can get, rather than what they can give.
That approach comes across in everything they do. As a result, their client retention is poor and they get few referrals from their clients, because we don’t recommend greedy, self-obsessed people to our friends.
Some ideas for developing the ‘them’ approach to business
It starts with an understanding that it’s all about what you do, not what you say. Every business owner claims to be client focused. So, you need to demonstrate that you are passionate about the success of their business.
- Keep in regular contact and if you find they have a problem, offer to help.
- Help them make connections. Think of people you know, who you can introduce them to… then do it!
- Take a little time out every day, to help one of your clients in a way they were not expecting. This can be something as simple as sharing a useful blog post or newsletter article.
- Find something valuable, which has a low delivery cost to you. Then add it to the service they receive from you… at no extra cost.
- Keep your promises. Surprisingly few service providers can be totally relied upon. Become one of this rare group and your clients will notice (and tell their friends).
As Zig Ziglar used to say: You can have everything you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.