I have a great question for you today: If your business was perfect in every way, what would it look like?
- If you could hand pick your client list, who would you be working with?
- If you could work from anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- If you were earning enough from your business, to provide a lifestyle that would really excite you, how much would that be?
- If you could partner in a business venture with anyone, who would it be?
- If your typical working week was perfect, what would it look like?
The power of clarity
One of the key reasons people fail to achieve the business results they want, is that they have only a foggy idea of what (specifically) they want to achieve. They know they want to do better, but fail to really focus on exactly what that means for them, in real terms. By identifying and picturing in your mind, exactly what your ideal business and lifestyle would look like and how it would provide you with a vastly better quality of life, EVERYTHING changes!
The word motivation comes from the fusion of two smaller words: Motive and action. The ability to take action increases massively, when the motive (reason) is clear and exciting enough to drive you forward.
Now, compare that kind of clarity to the vague way that many small business owners think about their business. They want a better month than last month. They want a better year than last year. That kind of vague, foggy thinking is nothing like as motivating, inspirational or compelling as having an exciting, clearly visible picture of exactly what you want to achieve.
Take a look at those questions from earlier in this post. Jot them down and then write the answers to each one, in as much detail as you can. Make that “perfect future” the inspiration that drives you forward to the results your hard work deserves!
PS: By the way, if you need a little help getting started, check this out!
Photo: La Prima Donna