Hard work is not the secret to success. If it was, our grandparents would have been millionaires. Instead, success comes from doing the right things, correctly.
This means a business owner who wants to improve their results has just 2, relatively easy challenges ahead of them.
We need to accept that our current business development strategy isn’t working. Our current strategy may feel comfortable. It’s certainly familiar. However, if it isn’t leading to the results we want, we must accept that we need to move on.
Until we accept the need to improve, we will simply carry on wasting time, working hard for too little reward.
2. Adopt a proven strategy for success
Once we’ve accepted the need to improve, we’re ready for the second challenge. This one is easier than the first. We need to find a strategy that will work for us.
And thankfully, success leaves clues.
We are surrounded by examples of successful businesses. Everywhere we look, there are businesses that are getting it right. Every area of our business development that needs to improve, is already working spectacularly well for another business. The answers we need are out there. We just need to follow the clues.
Your task here, is to do the research. Look at what the businesses that are succeeding are doing, which you can adopt into your own business.
Here’s an example of what I mean. If your business needs to improve its marketing, what might you learn from the following success clues?
- The last service you used, which impressed you so much you told your friends.
- The last marketing email you received, which persuaded you to take action.
- The last blog post you read, which you were inspired to share. [Bloggers… read this!]
- The last social network update, which motivated you to take action.
- The last advertisement you encountered, which compelled you to make a purchase.
- The last newsletter you received, which you were motivated to forward to your friends.
- The last website you visited, which impressed you with its professionalism.
Once you have done that, it’s time to look below the surface. Consider how you can adapt what you discovered, so that it works for your business. Now, it’s entirely possible you will need some help implementing these lessons. If, for example, you learn that your website is in urgent need of improving, you’ll need a web designer. However, there will be elements you can learn from, and adopt, immediately.
Make no mistake, the answers you need are out there. Success leaves clues… and the clues are all around you.