I have a great little tip to share with you today, my friend.
Decide what you want from your business, in all the key areas. Then, turn that “want” into a target, by putting a number on it.
Here’s the thing: You can’t hit a target, if that target doesn’t exist.
It’s ineffective to say you want “more customers”. Why? Because the thing you want is undefined. It’s non-specific. So, you can’t focus on it. As soon as you put a number on it, you have a target. And your target then allows you to make all future marketing decisions with clarity.
For example, there are things you’ll need to do in order to attract 40,000 new customers over the next 12 months, which you won’t need to do, if you only want to attract 40. The number is what gives you your target. And your target will then rule in, or rule out, certain strategies.
Here are just a few areas, where you need specific targets, in order to make the right decisions.
- How will you know when you have enough money in the bank? Put a number on it.
- How will you know when your business is valuable enough? Put a number on it.
- How will you know when you are getting enough word of mouth referrals? Put a number on it.
- How will you know when your profitability is high enough? Put a number on it.
- How will you know when you have enough subscribers? Put a number on it.
- How will you know when you have enough visitors to your website? Put a number on it.
- How will you know when your professional network is large enough? Put a number on it.
Replacing general wishes with specific targets makes all the difference. And if you want to smash your targets, remember this is happening.