I get scores of really important marketing emails every day. I call them important, yet none of these messages are of any importance to me.
They’re typically irrelevant and of literally zero interest. They are only important to the people sending them!
I know you receive these emails too.
- The amazing special offers, which are neither amazing or special in any way whatsoever.
- The newsletters you never even subscribed to.
- The partnership opportunities from total strangers.
- The poorly targeted deals, which aren’t even applicable to you.
- And let’s not forget the masses of automatically generated spam you receive.
Here’s the thing we need to remember, before emailing someone. If our exciting announcement or important news is only really important to us and our business, we’re not marketing to people. We’re interrupting them!
And if we do that a second time, we go from interrupting them, to pestering them.
That’s not a good look.
How to get it right?
Create something genuinely interesting, which is important to your prospective clients or customers. Then, only send your message to people who have given you permission to contact them, and who you know have a genuine need for that important information.
It’s hard to overstate the marketing power of a valuable message, sent to people who want to hear from you. It’s how you create the best marketing… marketing that’s so useful, people would miss it if you stopped.