If you want to see massively better results in your business and achieve more progress than ever before, you will find today’s post extremely useful.
The Skills / Strategy challenge
One of the reasons small business owners often work hard, for too little reward, is that they confuse skills with strategy. The difference was summed up brilliantly by Jim Rohn:
Success is 20% skills and 80% strategy. You might know how to read, but more importantly, what’s your plan to read? ~ Jim Rohn
In my experience, when it comes to marketing, most small business owners score well on skills and poorly on strategy. They know how to do the mechanics (the 20%) of marketing, yet they see a fraction of the results they should be getting, because they are missing the strategy (the 80% that makes all the difference.)
Right skills, wrong strategy
Unaware that their lack of an effective strategy is losing them a fortune, they carry on doing the right things, incorrectly.
Some extremely common examples:
- They may know how to set up a Twitter or Facebook account, but lack the strategy to transfer their time and effort, into bankable results.
- They may know how to publish a newsletter, but lack the strategy to turn it into a rapidly growing source of sales and business leads.
- They may know how to answer the phone professionally, but lack the strategy to transfer enough inbound inquiries into sales or new clients.
- They may know how to set up a blog, but lack the strategy to get thousands of people reading it and talking about it to their friends.
- They may know how to write a marketing message, but lack the strategy to inspire people to read it or compel readers to take action.
- So, they say they tried (whatever type of marketing) ‘but it doesn’t work’. It does work – but not if you’re doing it incorrectly!
Here’s the thing: Very, very few small business owners have an effective strategy for any of their marketing. They simply copy what they see others doing – even though the people they copy are equally baffled and are also following what THEY see others doing.
Einstein once said that insanity was repeating the same task, and expecting different results. Unless you want 2013 to be a rerun of 2012, get strategic. Learn what you need to do and learn how to do it correctly.
Let’s work together and grow your business. To find out more click here!