It’s easy to win the argument, yet come out losing.
- We can win the argument and lose a friend.
- We can win the argument and totally fail to change the other person’s viewpoint. As they say: A man convinced against his will, is of that same opinion still.
- We can win the argument and in the process, make ourselves look like a jerk and lose the respect of everyone involved.
A healthy alternative
In my experience, when it comes to business, a healthy debate is a far better alternative to attacking another person’s viewpoint or arguing with them.
A healthy debate is exactly that – healthy. It’s about having a healthy respect for the right of the other person, to hold a different viewpoint from ours. It comes from understanding that with so many things, there is more than one truth and often countless opinions too. Lastly and perhaps most importantly, a healthy debate comes from separating the person from their viewpoint.
As soon as we attack the person, we have already lost.
Let’s work together and grow your business. To find out more click here!
Latest posts by Jim Connolly (see all)
- You don’t launch a successful blog. You build it. - August 29, 2014
- What happened next? - August 28, 2014
- Are you building a tribe or writing drive-by content? - August 27, 2014