Some business owners are chasing their dreams. Others are running from their fears. The difference this creates in their results is huge. No, bigger than that!
So, are you focusing on what you want or what you fear?
One will empower you and lead you to opportunities and growth. The other will lead to pain and stop you from getting started.
Focusing on fear
When we focus on fear, it has a huge, negative impact on our thinking, our decisions and then the actions we take.
Here are some examples of fear driven thinking:
- We copy our competitors, because it feels safe. This makes us invisible. Here’s a better approach for your business!
- We stay within our comfort zones. This makes it impossible for us to grow.
- We adopt the perfectionist mindset and become unproductive. Nothing is perfect, so waiting for something to be perfect slows us down or stops us from even starting.
- We waste money on things that make us feel good in the short term, yet avoid risking an investment that our business desperately needs. Investment equals risk. Fear focused people hate risk.
- We attract others who have the same fear focused mindset. This reinforces our fears and supports our decision to hunker down and do nothing new.
- We work for average people and charge them average fees. Here’s how to break free from that trap.
- We stagnate.
Those are just some of the things that happen, when we try to avoid what we fear, rather than pursue what we want.
Here’s an interesting question
What 3 things would you do today, if you knew for certain that you could not fail?
Write them down.
Why? Because that list will contain 3 things, which you are currently not doing, from fear of failing. What if one or more of those ‘things’ were to succeed? What if you were to learn something of even greater value, from looking fear in the face and doing what needs to be done?
See failure as feedback, rather than pain. Learn from the feedback. Improve. Embrace change. Give it your best shot.
When you do, you will be following the success formula of every successful person who has ever lived.
Latest posts by Jim Connolly (see all)
- How to build a great business, doing things YOUR way - March 10, 2014
- How to put your ideas into action - March 9, 2014
- How stories help you grow your business - March 8, 2014