Despite what many people believe, small businesses are not merely smaller versions of big businesses. They are different in one very important way.
Here’s the difference
The largest companies, from Apple to MacDonald’s, have to stick to a standardised way of doing things. It’s all about consistency. There is a company way of doing things and the employees need to operate within that framework. iPhones and Big Macs look the same at every store and the way they are served to you is also as close to identical as possible.
With a small business, success comes from doing the exact opposite. It comes from individuals within the small business, being human and expressing themselves… doing work that is meaningfully different.
The most successful small and medium sized businesses provide products, services or experiences, which are only available from them. They have figured out that by creating something that is meaningfully different, they become the only show in town, for clients who want that meaningful difference. They create a special value, which is only available from them. It works. Beautifully.
Most small business owners don’t get this
In fact, the massive majority of small businesses within the same niche, look almost identical.
- They offer the same predictable range of services.
- They make the same predictable marketing promises.
- They have the same predictable looking websites, blogs and social networking accounts.
- They offer the same predictable guarantees and have the same kind of testimonials.
They become cookie cutter duplicates of their competitors, then wonder why prospective clients are so fee sensitive. Clue: When you look just like the competition, prospective clients use your fee as their way to determine your value.
Embrace your uniqueness
Build a business that is meaningfully different. Not only will you have no competitors, you will be free to charge what you are worth, to clients who value the meaningful difference you provide.
PS: For more information on how to attract the best clients and fees, read this.
- How to describe your business so it stands out from the crowd
- How to build a massively valuable client list
- The best way to spread the word about your business
- 6 Extremely powerful questions to help you grow your business
- Could this tip transform your business? Yes. Yes it could!
- A powerful business lesson… from Google!
- The number 1 thing you must know, for your business to succeed
- How to attract better clients and higher fees
- Don’t let this mistake crush your business!