In this post, I’m going to share what is easily the single best piece of blogging advice I know.
Here it is – Drum roll please…
If you would like more great people to read your blog, start off by asking yourself the following question:
If I already had 10,000 prospective clients reading my blog each day, how much time and money would I be prepared to invest in developing it and delivering great content?
When I ask people that question, they often say things like:
- Wow… with 10,000 readers each day, I’d invest as much time as I possibly could in the blog and make it a priority.
- I’d invest in a professional design for the blog. With all those readers, I wouldn’t want to look cheap.
- I’d publish posts most days and really work hard to make the content as useful as possible.
- I’d invest in some good quality hosting, so the blog always loaded fast and was reliable.
Cause and effect
After listening to their answers, I sometimes take a look at their blogs and usually find that they have not invested much time, money or energy into them. They want a highly valuable blog, but they won’t make the commitment required, until after their blog is a success.
That approach is a little like a restaurant owner saying she refuses to serve great food, until after her restaurant if full every night!
My mentor used to say that it would be crazy to walk up to an empty fireplace and expect heat. We know we need to do the work of building the fire and lighting it, before we can enjoy the warmth.
We don’t need to be geniuses to build a successful blog, but we do need to be wise enough to understand that our results will be guided by our actions.
A leap of faith
The people that already have thousands of daily readers, did the work and made the investments before their blog was a success.
That takes a huge leap of faith, but unless you show faith in your blog, you can’t expect others to.
PS: If you’re thinking of starting a business blog, I believe you will find this useful: 7 Benefits of business blogging.
- Bloggers: 8 Tips to help you attract more readers, sales and business leads
- Bloggers: Why too few people read your blog and how to fix it!
- Bloggers: Yes, you can write a post in 20 minutes
- Bloggers: Social search and the freedom to focus on quality
- How to build a massively valuable blog, using a more human approach!
- Your answer to this question, will tell you in advance how 2013 will look for your business!
- Is your service answering a question, which your ideal clients are asking?
- Do you make these 7 mistakes with your blog?