Even in today’s rapidly changing marketplace, commercial success is profoundly shaped by what we choose to do. Just consider for a moment the business decisions we make, like those below. And think about how different choices will clearly lead to very different results.
- We choose the people we hire to join our team.
- We choose the quality of vendors we use for our business.
- We choose whether or not, to give our clients an experience worth talking about.
- We choose the advice we take, as well as the advice we ignore.
- We choose whether our business stands out or fits in.
- We choose our commercial priorities.
- We choose to be reactive or proactive in important situations.
- We choose how we respond to possible opportunities.
- We choose how we respond when our plans get derailed.
- We choose who, and what, we pay attention to throughout the day.
- We choose our clients or customers.
- We choose the quality of service we provide.
- We choose the projects we accept.
- We choose where to set our prices or fees.
- We choose our payment terms.
- We choose whether to show leadership in our industry or not.
- We choose who we believe can be trusted.
Our choices and our outcomes
In every area of life, better choices lead to better outcomes. For instance, the person who makes better diet choices will enjoy better health and fitness outcomes. The same holds true for the choices we make in business. That’s because our choices determine our direction of travel, as we navigate the way ahead.
I’m not suggesting for one moment that we can control everything. We absolutely can’t. What I am suggesting, is that we can control how effectively we choose to respond.
It’s no coincidence that the worlds most successful business owners are also great decision makers. Thankfully, by applying more thought to the choices we make, then monitoring our results, we can learn to make better and better decisions. And enjoy better and better results.
If we choose to.