Did you know, the massive majority of small businesses are built on an ineffective, upside down model?
It looks like this.
- The business owner decides the type of service they’re going to offer.
- They then try to find clients for their service.
It can’t work in any meaningful way.
Because it’s literally the wrong way round. The most effective business owners do the exact opposite.
Here’s what they do
- They decide the kind of clients they want to work with. For example, clients who are happy to pay a premium fee for a premium service, clients who demand the fastest possible service or maybe clients who value a no-frills service.
- Then, and only then, they decide what services to offer. The service is based around the things, which their ideal profile of client will value and desire. And it works like a magnet!
- They then market this service exclusively to these targeted prospective clients. They shun everyone else.
- And it works spectacularly well.
If you struggle to attract the right kind of clients, I strongly recommend you consider flipping your business model around.
Focus on the kind of clients you most want to work with. Then, consider rebuilding your services so that those ideal clients will find it extremely attractive. Delight these ideal clients and not only will they hire you, they’ll tell their friends.
On a personal note: I built my own business on this model. As a result I work with fantastic clients every day. And over 90% of them come from client referrals.
It’s far, far, far more effective than trying to sell people a service that wasn’t specifically built around their needs, and is similar to what your competitors are already offering them.
Photo by John Fornander