There’s a big difference between learning something and learning something of value. When I speak with people about my services, I often say;
“Some coaches teach so others can learn – That’s not me!
Some coaches teach so others can accomplish – That IS me!”
This is because not all information is the same. I meet with businesspeople all the time, who tell me how much they enjoyed a certain book or how interesting they found a seminar or workshop they attended – BUT that they still have the same problems or challenges. They were educated, but with the wrong information for their unique situation.
What are your specific marketing challenges?
I’m guessing that every person reading that question, will have similar answers. They may want to:
- Make more sales.
- Make the same number of sales, but make those sales higher quality.
- Boost their profits.
- Find new markets for their products / services.
- All the above
Here’s where the challenge begins for most small businesses. You see, although they generally want to achieve one or more of the above outcomes, their situations are unique. For example, they have differing skills, time resources, finances and unique likes and dislikes. So, if they apply a ‘general’ marketing idea that they pick up from a; book, seminar, website or newsletter, it’s usually pretty ineffective.
Another month / year’s worth of business progress is lost. (Ouch!)
When I put a marketing strategy together for one of my clients, I always match what they want to achieve, with their unique resources. For those of you intent on going it alone with your marketing, I strongly suggest you try and do the same.
Here’s just a handful of things you need to ask yourself, before you use marketing ideas you find in a book, seminar, website etc:
- Does it fit in with your time resources? Do you have the time available to start it off and to see it through to the end?
- Does it fit in with your finances? Can you afford to implement it correctly in the short, medium and long-term?
- Will it provide the results you need quickly enough? When do you need to see a bankable return (MONEY) from it? Do you believe it will get you where you need to be in time?
- Is it consistent with your personality and your reputation? If you put (whatever) marketing in place, will it be consistent with your commercial image?
- Can you clearly see the direct benefit it will bring? Is it going to generate; readers, follows, retweets, Facebook friends OR is it going to generate the bankable results you need?
- How might it impact your relationship with your existing clients and customers? For instance, if you are thinking of offering a super deal for new clients, how might this make your existing clients feel – knowing they are getting a worse deal?
- Is the end result likely to generate the profile of client or customer you want? Are you sure that doing (whatever) marketing, is going to deliver the type of new business you want?
The point of this post is to highlight that your unique situation will only improve, when you start using strategies that compliment it correctly.
Whatever do you, don’t waste another year doing the wrong things really well!
Let’s work together and grow your business. To find out more click here!