People love to talk, you just need to give them a reason and make it easy for them to spread the word.
If you want to develop word of mouth publicity or referrals, it helps if you understand a little about what motivates people to share information about you and your business. Here are 10 reasons I have been thinking about today. You can add yours to this list using the comments section below.
People spread the word about you because:
- Something you did or said was remarkable.
- By sharing a nugget of information from you, they get to look well-informed.
- They are bored and you have made it easy to spread the word; relieving their boredom for a few moments.
- It’s a good way to gain your attention, particularly if they do it online and mention you by name.
- They trust and value what you have to say and feel compelled to share the wisdom.
- By spreading the word about you, it may motivate you to spread the word about them. This is known as reciprocity.
- They want their name to be associated publicly with you or your brand.
- You made a controversial point, which they were not brave enough to make. By spreading what you said, they get to make the point, without attracting the flack.
- You have been spreading the word about them for some time and they now feel obligated to reciprocate. (See number 6.)
- Something you just wrote or said will be of genuine value to someone they care about, who needs that help right now. (This post is a great example.)
Latest posts by Jim Connolly (see all)
- 7 Habits of highly successful leaders - July 29, 2014
- Photos: What everyone needs to know about ageing online - July 28, 2014
- 1 Essential word your marketing needs, plus 1 you MUST avoid! - July 26, 2014