As a business owner, a great question to ask yourself is; “Would people miss my business if I stopped trading?”
Without doubt, one of the best investments you can make in your business, is to constantly look for ways to be irreplaceable.
Think of it like this:
- If people want carrot flavour ice cream and you’re the only person who makes it, carrot ice cream lovers would miss you like crazy if you stopped trading.
- However, if people want a good quality training provider or consultant and that’s what you offer, it’s relatively simple for them to find another good quality provider.
Not easy, but required
As a small business owner, there is enormous value in finding your equivalent of carrot flavour ice cream. By being hard to replace you give your existing clients no reason to look for another provider. Additionally, it is a great deal easier to successfully market a service, which offers unique value. Just as importantly, because your service will no longer be just like all your competitors, you no longer need to compete with them on price.
No, it’s not easy to develop a product or service that is irreplaceable. That’s why your competitors are not doing it and why the opportunity exists for you.
Latest posts by Jim Connolly (see all)
- Stop working for toxic clients. Seriously. Stop it! - April 15, 2014
- Here’s an approach to marketing that works every time - April 14, 2014
- Growing a successful business is a marathon, not a sprint! - April 13, 2014