Have you ever wondered why there’s so much poor quality, ineffective marketing out there?
The answer is simple: Many DIY marketers do things purely because they can, rather than because they should!
- Just because they can subscribe you to their newsletter list without your permission, they do.
- Just because they can leave a spammy comment on your blog, they do.
- Just because they can cold call you and launch into a sales pitch with no respect for your time, they do.
- Just because they can send you a link to their wonder product via Twitter, they do.
- Just because they can attend a local networking event filled with people trying to sell and no one looking to buy, they do.
- Just because they can send you poorly targeted, poorly written emails or marketing letters, they do.
Business owners intent on handling their own marketing will often seriously damage their reputation, purely out of ignorance. They don’t add you to those lists, cold call you or bore the crap out of you at networking events etc to deliberately make you angry. It’s simply that they have no idea what they should be doing or how to do it correctly.
I genuinely cringe when I see the way some people use marketing tools. I often wonder if these people use the same approach when their computer needs repairing – Attacking it with a soldering iron in the hope that if they solder enough things together, something might just work.
Here’s a tip for anyone intent on handling their own marketing
Make sure that before you do anything, you run it past these 2 questions. Then, ONLY proceed if the answer to both of these questions is a definite “yes”.
- Do I know for certain that the marketing I am about to use, is correct for what I want to achieve?
- Do I know exactly how to use this form of marketing, in order to get the result I want?
It’s all too easy for small business owners to damage their reputation and waste time, energy and money by doing the wrong things – or doing the right things, but doing them incorrectly.
So, what if you can’t answer those questions or are just plain tired of watching your business spin it’s wheels?
If you want to finally start making real progress and real money, (remember, like you promised yourself when you started out?) then there are two options left open to you. You can either start investing all the time and money required to master small business marketing, or you can get the answers you need from someone who already has them.