It’s tough being a service provider these days. There are so many of us in every industry. Not only that, a prospective client can find lower priced alternatives to us, on Google, in seconds.
With so many competitors, what can we do?
- We could try and out-spend them on advertising. Of course, this eats into our profit margins.
- We could try being the lowest priced. Of course, this almost eliminates our profits completely.
- We could try joining a networking group. Of course, we’d be relying on fellow group members to provide us with leads… the very same people who need to attend the group because they can’t even get enough leads for their own businesses.
There are better alternatives though. And one that works extremely well, is to become number one in a category of one.
It’s the strategy I follow for my own business and one that could be just as effective for you and your business.
Allow me to explain how it works
Let’s imagine you’re an accountant. (You could equally be a mentor, financial advisor, lawyer, designer, trainer, marketing consultant or whatever). Anyhow, unlike your fellow accountants, you choose to work exclusively with creative professionals. This immediately places you as number one in a category of one.
- The fact you understand their profession at a super-deep level, sets you apart from the rest.
- The fact you understand their terminology and speak their language, sets you apart from the rest.
- The fact you understand the threats and opportunities specific to their industry, sets you apart from the rest.
- The fact you understand their unique requirements, sets you apart from the rest.
- The fact you understand the creative mindset, sets you apart from the rest.
- And because you’re set apart from your former competing providers, your prospective clients will see you as massively more relevant to them and their business!
It’s hard to think of a service provider in any industry, who couldn’t transition themselves into being number one in a category of one.
Yes. Including you, my friend.