There is a powerful success factor behind every great business, which you can implement starting today.
It can be summed up in just 4 words: It’s all about them!
It’s all about them
The most successful business owners have figured it out. They know that their success is always going to be an extension of what they do for their clients. So, they consistently look for ways to be of greater value.
In short: They are more interested in the success of their clients, than they are in their own success.
That may sound counter-intuitive, but it isn’t. Allow me to explain why.
Why the me, me, me approach doesn’t work
The least effective business owners are focused on what they can get from their clients or customers. This mindset manifests itself in many different ways. Here are just a few common examples.
- They talk about closing the sale, rather than opening the relationship.
- They talk about up-selling, rather than upping the value they provide to their clients.
- They focus on what they can get, rather than what they can contribute.
That approach comes across in everything they do. As a result, their client retention is poor and they get few referrals from their clients. That’s because we don’t recommend greedy, self-obsessed people to our friends.
Some ideas for developing the ‘them’ approach to business
It starts with an understanding that it’s all about what you do, not what you say. That’s because every business owner claims to be client focused. So, you need to demonstrate that you are passionate about the success of your clients. You need to step up and walk the walk.
- Keep in regular contact and if you find they have a problem, offer to help. Over the years, I have helped clients overcome major problems, which weren’t part of the service I provide. I have a huge, international network of top-level contacts, spanning pretty-much every area of business. I can almost always get my client any answer they need, and fast, from a leading expert. So that’s exactly what I do.
- Help your clients to make extremely valuable connections. Think of people you know, who you can introduce them to… then do it!
- Take a little time out every day, to help one of your clients in a way they were not expecting. This can be something as simple as sharing a useful article or video with them.
- Find something valuable, which has a low delivery cost to you. Then add it to the service they receive from you… at no extra cost. My new clients are always amazed at the number of additional things I do for them. And I do this at every possible opportunity.
- Keep your promises. Surprisingly few service providers can be totally relied upon. I started my business in 1995 and today, I’m still in contact with people, who I worked with in my first year. Deep, long-term relationships are a cornerstone of every excellent service provider. So, keep your promises and be there when they need you.
22 Years after starting out in business, I can confirm that Zig Ziglar was right: “You can have everything you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want”.
This isn’t just an effective way to build a successful business. It’s also a wonderfully rewarding way to build a business you’re proud of, my friend!Here's a suggestion: Let's work together! I can help you build a more successful business, increase your sales and boost your profits. To find out how, read this.