Today I want to make an important plea to you. I want you to focus like a laser on making your business absolutely thrive over the next 12-months.
Yes, I know it’s 2020.
Yes, I’m very aware of the challenges.
I am also aware of the importance of looking to your future with the overriding goal of absolutely thriving.
When the marketplace is in turmoil, business owners set one of the following two broad targets. They either choose to survive (the vast majority) or they choose to thrive (a tiny minority).
We must choose our target wisely.
- Choosing to survive means you may just make it, if you achieve the target.
- Choosing to thrive means you’ll have an exceptional year, if you achieve the target.
- If you fail the target of survival, even by 1%, by default you don’t survive.
- If you fail the target of thriving, even by 25%, you can still have a better-than-average or average year.
Your target determines your focus. It sets the stage for the plans you make and the decisions you take. It shapes the conversations you have. It guides the opportunities you attract (and those you repel).
Your target also determines how you feel and how you make others feel about you and your business. It builds or erodes confidence.
- Survival mode is a source of anxiety. When we speak with an anxious business owner, we sense their worry and stress. We feel apprehensive about them and apprehension turns prospective customers away.
- Thrive mode is a source of excitement. When we speak with an excited business owner, we sense their energy and motivation. We feel positive about them. This is commercial gold dust. Especially today.
Given this, we all have a decision to make.
We can’t change the duration of the pandemic, or the even longer duration of the economic carnage it leaves us with. But we can choose the target we focus on.
And as I have seen with my 2020 client intake, it is possible to absolutely thrive.